A pregnant lady had a blood alcohol content material thrice the authorized restrict in a February crash that resulted within the demise of her 11-year-old son, Pennsylvania police stated.
Police launched particulars Thursday in regards to the Feb. 23 crash in Manheim Township and introduced 22 expenses towards Jennifer Johnson, 35.
Johnson was touring together with her son and driving as much as 69 mph in a 25 mph zone on the time of the crash, in response to police.
While driving on a bridge towards Lancaster City, Johnson entered the incorrect lane and narrowly prevented two autos earlier than putting one other automobile head-on. The two individuals within the different automobile had accidents that have been thought-about severe to life threatening, together with one with “damaged organs and multiple broken bones.”
“Due to this speed, Johnson’s vehicle could not negotiate a curve in the roadway, thereby causing her to lose control and strike another vehicle head-on,” police stated.
Johnson’s 11-year-old son was not carrying a seatbelt and died at a neighborhood hospital hours later. Johnson was additionally not carrying a seatbelt, in response to police.
Police stated Johnson knew she was pregnant on the time of the crash. She had a blood alcohol content material of 0.262, which is greater than thrice the authorized restrict of 0.08, in response to police.
“Johnson’s actions were the direct result of the child’s death,” police stated.
Johnson was driving with a suspended license as a result of a earlier DUI conviction.
She was charged Wednesday with the next:
▪ Aggravated assault of unborn baby
▪ Homicide by automobile whereas driving underneath the affect
▪ Aggravated assault by automobile whereas driving underneath the affect
▪ Homicide by automobile
▪ Aggravated assault by automobile
▪ Accidents involving accidents whereas not correctly licensed (three counts)
▪ Endangering welfare of youngsters
▪ Driving underneath the affect, common impairment
▪ Driving underneath the affect, highest price of alcohol
▪ Recklessly endangering one other individual (4 counts)
▪ Driving underneath suspension, DUI associated
▪ Restraint methods (seatbelt, two counts)
▪ Reckless driving
▪ Driving automobile at secure velocity
▪ Driving inside a single lane
▪ Driving on proper aspect of roadway
Johnson was arrested and launched after processing, in response to the information launch.