Six people have been sent to hospitals Wednesday night after a gallon of formaldehyde was spilled contained in the Mission Veterinary Emergency & Specialty, a fireplace official stated.
Firefighters with Johnson County Consolidated Fire District No. 2 responded shortly after four p.m. on a hazmat name to examine a chemical spill at the 24-hour veterinary clinic at 5914 Johnson Drive, stated Deputy Chief Mike Morse.
Arriving firefighters discovered that a lot of the chemical had been cleaned up, however a number of people who had interacted with the chemical substances began to really feel sick, Morse stated.
The name was upgraded to a hazardous materials spill and extra firefighters and ambulances responded, together with an Overland Park Fire Department hazmat workforce.
The constructing was evacuated and 6 people have been taken to hospitals as a precaution, the place they have been handled and launched, Morse stated. There have been about two dozen people contained in the constructing at the time of the chemical spill.
Firefighters used followers to ventilate the constructing earlier than permitting workers again inside at about 7:30 p.m.
While the spill was being cleaned up and the constructing was being ventilated, Mission Veterinary Emergency & Specialty posted to Facebook that it was “experiencing an unexpected event and will be temporarily rerouting patient arrivals to our sister location, Overland Park Veterinary Emergency and Specialty.”
The publish was later up to date to say that that they had resumed 24-hour emergency and demanding care companies.
Morse stated it’s essential that when working with a great amount of chemical substances to perceive what risks they pose in case they’re spilled. It’s additionally essential to know what precautions to take to defend your respiration and pores and skin.
“And don’t hesitate to call the fire department,” Morse stated.